Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water not hot anymore and only warm for 5 minutes

3 posters

Go down

Water not hot anymore and only warm for 5 minutes Empty Water not hot anymore and only warm for 5 minutes

Post  boomoocow Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 am

I hope you can help me!

I live in a rented property and we have a pulsacoil 2000. Before christmas it broke down with a continuous red light and no hot water. Someone came round and replaced a part on the immersion heater (unsure what part- perhaps the thermostat??). Anyway, since then the water doesn't seem to get very hot. I never had to put the shower past halfway on the temperature dial and now even on maximum it's not really hot enough. After 4-5 minutes the water turns luke warm and stays that temperature.
I have looked on your website and took the advice to check the top tank, which was about an inch below the fill line. I topped it up but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Any advice would be very welcome as the people who manage our property are reluctant to send someone round again!!!

boomoocow

Back to top Go down

Water not hot anymore and only warm for 5 minutes Empty Re: Water not hot anymore and only warm for 5 minutes

Post  Mike the Boilerman Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi boomoocow,

Reluctant??!??!!?!!! Do they consider hot water optional?

I think you need to raise the stakes then by telling them you are moving out because the hot water does not work. You pay rent to cover maintenance (amongst other things) so if they won't fullfill their part of the bargain I think you should move and pick a landlord who takes their responsibilities a bit more seriously.

This is an easy problem to sort out for someone who understands Pulsacoils, but your letting agent seems to prefer to employ idiots. You have no other choice if they won't get a professional in to fix this.

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Water not hot anymore and only warm for 5 minutes Empty Re: Water not hot anymore and only warm for 5 minutes

Post  THERMAL SOLUTIONS Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:22 am

red light tells me that the unit has overheated and gone to self protect mode.
several factors come into play.
1. low water in feed /expansion tank
2. defective heater elements and or thermostats
if the thermostat in the heater element is not shutting off corectly this will continue to heat the unit until it reaches its limit stat and self protect rather than total overheat into the feed tank, was it the lower immersion thermostat that was replaced? it maybe that the sheath that the immersion sits in is leaking and water is making across the stat. is the boileroom humid or damp ?
i bet so.
hope this helps
mark.
www.gledhill-repair.co.uk

THERMAL SOLUTIONS

http://www.gledhill-repair.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  boomoocow Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:37 am

Apparently both thermostats were replaced, but the boiler room doesn't seem damp.

Someone came round the other day and checked that both thermostats were working and checked the pumps etc, and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They said the reason the water was luke warm was because of the weather??
They slightly adjusted the thermostats and the water is slightly warmer. What temperature should the thermostats be at? Can i turn them up more or will that trip the whole system?

Many Thanks,

Molly Jakeman

boomoocow

Back to top Go down

Post  THERMAL SOLUTIONS Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:03 am

what a load of old twaddle !!!!! so in the summer the unit will overheat !!!!!
on a serious note pulsacoil 2000 thermostats should be set at 73 degrees if the unit has been upgraded to the retro fit kit, you should have 2 thermostats aqua in colour with stickers on them saying PRESET TO 73 DEGREES.they may have fitted a thermostat preset around 65 degrees for a conventional cylinder, i have seen this done many times.
if you are in any of my areas i will come out free of charge
hope this helps
mark.
www.gledhill-repair.co.uk

THERMAL SOLUTIONS

http://www.gledhill-repair.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  boomoocow Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:42 am

Thank you so much for your help!
Maybe soon I will have hot water!

I have just adjusted the thermostats as they were both set at 60 degrees. However, they are both white and have ranges of 30-70 degrees so I couldn't set it to 73 degrees- is this right? Will the system trip with both thermostats set at the maximum?

I am in manchester, so I think I fall outside your areas!

Thank you again!

Molly Jakeman

boomoocow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down