Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further?

2 posters

Go down

Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further? Empty Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further?

Post  wildcampion Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:13 am

Hi all - I'm looking for advice from someone who knows more about ACBs than I do!

Woke up this Christmas morning to no hot water or central heating - boiler refused to fire. Further investigation showed that the problem was with the ACB board on the Boilermate 2000 - LED light 1 for 'boiler on' was off and when I looked closely at the small black rectangular component next to it (sorry don't know its name!) one of the silver connections looked decidedly frazzled and there was a black burn mark on the board. I obviously need to find out whether the board can be repaired or will have to be replaced, but my question to all you helpful Boilermate 2000 experts is do I first need to find out what caused the connection to blow? The board was a reconditioned one from Ebay so maybe that's the problem; or could it be because the system has been on full-pelt for over a week due to the bad weather? I don't want to spend £250 on a new board just for it to go again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian

wildcampion

Back to top Go down

Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further? Empty Re: Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further?

Post  mike Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Re-con board / e bay sounds iffy.
Did you program the board to your appliance?
Would say get a new board and fit it properly
Should be ok.

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further? Empty Re: reco'd board

Post  wildcampion Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:35 am

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. The Ebay company sold it as a GT155 board for a Boilermate 2000 and I installed it as per the instructions in the manual that came with the appliance. It has worked fine for just over 3 months (the guarantee was for 3 months of course!) Not sure about any programming that was needed?!

wildcampion

Back to top Go down

Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further? Empty Re: Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further?

Post  mike Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:58 am

When fitting a new board.
You normally have to put a jumper on number 5 to check it is for your unit.
It might be A01 or A03 etc.
Its in the book.
After accepting the right code, you switch off remove the jumper.
And away you go.
Some books give the wrong code though.
Can be confusing.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further? Empty Jumper no 5

Post  wildcampion Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:33 am

Hi Mike - thanks again. Yes, did the business with jumper no.5. I'm still thinking it could be the board though - I knew I was taking a chance with a reconditioned one but the new one is so expensive.

wildcampion

Back to top Go down

Merry Christmas! Advice needed on blown ACB - just replace or investigate further? Empty Hopefully the final chapter

Post  wildcampion Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:23 am

Hi all - just thought I'd give an update to (hopefully) finish this topic off. Bought a new (genuine) ACB and installed it this morning - so far everything is working fine. Fingers crossed there is no repeat of the problem and we can enjoy hot water and heating for the first time in a week.

Wildcampion

wildcampion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down