Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boilermate 2000/Glowworm Micro 70FF problem

2 posters

Go down

Boilermate 2000/Glowworm Micro 70FF problem Empty Boilermate 2000/Glowworm Micro 70FF problem

Post  atiras Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:47 am

I have a Boilermate 2000 and a Glowworm Micron 70FF both installed in 2002. The Boilermate had 2 PCB replacements in its first year of operation, but has been reliable since. The Glowworm is on its 3rd PCB and 3rd temperature sensor -- guess what I won't be replacing it with when the time finally comes!

The Glow-worm flue is positioned in such a way that a combination of high wind and rain will (more often than not) drive water in through the flue and cause the boiler to reset. Once I've noticed that the boiler has reset, it isn't always simply a matter of resetting it again (turn to off wait 30 secs and then turn back to max) to get the system to work again; I have to switch the Boilermate to electric for some hours and then back to gas again before it will try to call the boiler. Am I right in thinking that this would be because the thermal store has dropped below its minimum operating temperature and has to heat up again first? Or might there be something else going on?

Also, when switched to electric, the time clock on the Boilermate stops -- is this normal?

(Having spent the afternoon adjusting the angle of the flue so that water will hopefully run out rather than in, I'm hoping to reduce the likelihood of the problem recurring...)

Helen

atiras

Back to top Go down

Boilermate 2000/Glowworm Micro 70FF problem Empty Re: Boilermate 2000/Glowworm Micro 70FF problem

Post  Mike the Boilerman Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 am

Hi Helen,

Firstly you shouldn't be able to 'adjust' the flue angle. If you can it means it is installed incorrectly and is possibly dangerous to use and should be fixed by a Gas Safe Register bod. However given the history of this Micron in general and yours in particular, I'm inclined to recommend you get this boiler changed rather than spend more money attempting to get the water ingress problem sorted out. The Micron really is a turkey.

Secondly, yes the Boilermate clock will stop when you switch the boiler power supply OFF.

Thirdly, after a successful re-set the boiler should only fire if the green light on the Boilermate front panel (near the floor) is ON. ON indicates demand is being sent to the boiler. If the green light on the Boilermate is OFF then it is correct for the boiler to remain OFF.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Boilermate 2000/Glowworm Micro 70FF problem Empty Re: Boilermate 2000/Glowworm Micro 70FF problem

Post  atiras Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks, Mike. Demand IS being sent to the boiler, which isn't firing. I'll just have to get British Gas out again...

atiras

Back to top Go down

Post  atiras Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:06 am

For the record, the problem was the Boilermate PCB, which has now been replaced and everything seems to be working fine. Although the demand light was on, there was no demand signal being sent to the boiler.

atiras

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike the Boilerman Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:28 am

Ok thanks for the feedback, glad you have it fixed now.

And I've just noticed my answer was based on you having a Boilermate II not a Boilermate 2000, so not as helpful as it could have been, DOH!

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  atiras Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:38 am

It's helpful that this forum exists at all, so don't kick yourself for the occasional mistake!

atiras

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down