Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PulsaCoil III corroded rod thermostat

Go down

PulsaCoil III corroded rod thermostat Empty PulsaCoil III corroded rod thermostat

Post  sgw Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi
A few weeks ago my Pulsacoil III started "running out" of hot water very quickly (within a couple of minutes). Switching on the boost switch resolved the problem, so, having read some posts on this forum I thought the issue might be with the lower rod thermostat. When I pulled it out it was extremely corroded (compared to the upper rod which was perfectly shiny copper). To test if it was the thermostat, I replaced the corroded (lower) rod with the clean (upper) one and turned off the boost electric supply and the unit worked perfectly. However, after buying a new rod thermostat I went to put it all back together and found that the thermostat that was clean a few day ago is now corroded. I tested the lower immersion element and it measures 18 ohms so it doesn't seem faulty and there is no evidence of a leak on the outside of the unit but somehow it must be leaking to make the thermostat wet.

Does anyone know if this means I need to replace the immersion heater element? If so, do I need to drain the whole thermal store first?

Thanks

sgw

Back to top Go down

PulsaCoil III corroded rod thermostat Empty Re: PulsaCoil III corroded rod thermostat

Post  Mike the Boilerman Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi sgw,

Yes the heater element needs replacing as the copper tube the thermostat fits into is leaking. It's a common fault. And yes you have to drain the whole store to do it, then re-fill it afterwards.

Good luck with it!

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

PulsaCoil III corroded rod thermostat Empty Replace it

Post  sunny.sahdev Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:58 am

I would agree with Mike, replace it before it becomes worse and starts touching the electrical conductors.

sunny.sahdev

http://www.vedhas.co.uk/vedhas-what-we-do/pulsacoil-repair/#

Back to top Go down

PulsaCoil III corroded rod thermostat Empty Re: PulsaCoil III corroded rod thermostat

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum